Banner

Monday, August 10, 2015

Restaurant Review - Stone Brewing Company


So as I'm sure you've all noticed, I like to eat.  A lot.  In fact when I travel, that to me is one of the best parts of the whole experience, eating at places that I wouldn't get to and then telling everyone how awesome, or not so awesome it was.
A few months back I was in Escondido, California.  Its near San Diego for those of you not familiar with California.  Escondido happens to be the home of the Stone Brewing Company which was recommended to us by the place we were staying (that's a separate post on its own).
For those of you who like your restaurant reviews really quick and short - it was flipping awesome!
For those of you who like details as to why - keep reading!
When we arrived it was late, and dark, otherwise there would be more than the 2 pictures in this post.
The parking lot was also full so there was a wait, but it wasn’t long.  When you walk in to the building, it takes a while.  The walk I mean.  You enter a garden path which has stones and trees over head and it winds around and during your trek you hear voices and music and see glimpses of fire.  All in all the entrance into the building was pretty cool.

The waiting area itself was plain-ish.  There were cement walls, the hostess booth, a bench, and chains hanging from the walls.  For those of you unfamiliar with Stone Brewing Company, they are responsible for Arrogant Bastard Beer which features a chained gargoyle on the label. 

Adjacent to the waiting area is the gift shop.  I like gift shops, a lot, so that was really fun.  They had glasses, t-shirts, beer, tickets to tour the brewery, cookbooks and other average gift shop items.  Yes, we went shopping while there.

Then we got seated.  We did not end up in the garden which would have, I think, been better but since it was so hot outside we opted for indoor dining.  It was packed but still enjoyable.  The tables had cement blocks with succulents in them.  There was a separate beer menu and the dinner menu made suggestions of what beer was best for what meal

The meals themselves were really really unique.  I had the pulled chicken and boar sandwich while my husband had the buffalo steak.  There were also things like duck tacos.  For me that type of thing is actually really fun, trying foods that I wouldn’t normally have access too, however, if you are traveling with people be sure to keep your companions in mind when selecting a restaurant like this as not all people are open to trying things like that

The food by the way was excellent.  And you could see the brewery itself from the restaurant through big glass windows (see top picture).

I tried the first beer on the list.  It was good.  It was also the only beer I had.  Sometimes I’m fussy with beer but it was one I would definitely have again. 

Our waitress, who’s name I forget, was also a great waitress.  She was very personable and knowledgeable about the menu and beer options.

All in all, dining at the Stone Brewing Company was a great experience.  Despite the crowd, it was relaxing, which we needed since that day we had not only each spent a full day at work but we had the car trip all the way down to Escondido afterwards.

Also, Escondido itself is a great place to visit and the proximity to San Diego, Carlsbad and Julian make it a really good destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment