Banner

Monday, June 1, 2015

Restaurant Review - City Tavern

This post has been a long time coming. Since Im starting to maintain my blog better, I figure catching up on points of interest, even older ones, would be great.

Last September my husband and I had a chance to travel to Pennsylvania and visit my in-laws. While there we got to spend a day in Philadelphia. Not only did we get to see a lot of very historic sites, which we can cover in future posts, but we got to eat at a very historic place. 

That restaurant was the City Tavern. It boasts being the oldest tavern in the United States and had regular customers such as George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. 

You'll notice from one of the signs that it had been rebuilt which made me question if it could really be the oldest tavern in the U.S.  That being said, it was rebuilt to the original specs. 

 

  

Before diving in, I'd like to take the time to apologize for not getting a picture of the whole building and also for the crumby pictures in general. 

Anyways, when we walked in there was a very full dining area to the left and a seating area to the right where we waited for our table. 

The seating area had a very nice fireplace and an old piano. It was a very pleasant waiting area. 



The hostess and staff were all dressed in colonial style clothing too. Had I thought of it at the time I would have gotten a picture of our waitress. 

After a short wait we were taken to an upstairs dining area which I liked even better as it was more secluded. 

Our table was just a few feet away from where Thomas Jefferson preferred to eat. 

  

Why yes that is Thomas Jefferson's table and yes I did crop out most of my mother-in-law in that picture. 

You'll notice the ... cups, goblets, whatever on the table there. That was what our water was served in. They were nice and heavy and the water stayed cold the whole time which was great. 

Next came bread...



...which was all from the original colonial recipes. The small half eaten one was more like a cookie. The waitress said it was Thomas Jefferson's favorite. Of the breads I liked that one the best too.

I ordered the seafood pasta for my lunch, I somehow don't think it was an actual colonial dish but I could be wrong. In addition to that we also got the Founding Fathers Beer Sampler. That was really interesting. 


The beers were all made from the original recipes of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and I think John Adams also but I can't quite remember. 

My favorite was Thomas Jefferson's beer (second beer from the left). Apparently when it came to food and drink Thomas Jefferson and I have very similar tastes. 

For dessert, sorry no picture, I had Martha Washington's chocolate mousse from her original recipe. It was delicious but, as with most restaurants, a very large portion. 

Overall the experience was great!  Our waitress was adorable, staff was friendly and the food was wonderful. The ambience couldn't have been better either. I liked the simple period decor, almost every room we saw had a fireplace, and is it weird that I liked it that the floor boards and stair steps creaked?  That really added some authenticity to it. 

There's nothing like stepping into and experiencing a little history. In a world of fast food and chain restaurants actually finding a one of a kind place like this really made that day in Philadelphia. 





No comments:

Post a Comment