Banner

Monday, June 29, 2015

Hexagons!

I've come to the realization recently that I'm obsessed with hexagons.  In fact, hexagons have found their way in to several craft project both for my Etsy shop and for personal use.

Currently I've been working on this afghan which will eventually be for sale once its finished:





And a personal project for myself is the Bee Keeper's Knitted Quilt by Tiny Owl Knits:




So, what's the story behind all these hexagons I find myself enthralled with.  Well, I have no clue, so I've decided to do some research on hexagons in general.

Mathematically speaking its round, triangular and equilateral all at once.  It can't be the math reason why I like them so much.  Math and I are not friends.

Is it hexagons in nature?  Probably actually.  Hexagons appear in nature in tons of places.  We may not realize it, but we see  them everywhere and all the time.  Snow flakes, honey combs, turtle shells, and Ireland's basalt columns.  And these are just the actual perfect hexagon shapes.  Dont even get me started on the irregular ones.  Seriously they are everywhere.

So perhaps is just the familiarity of them.  Either way, they're cute when knitted, crocheted, or sewn.  And really, how awesome are honeycombs?

So here's some exciting hexagon shots for your enjoyment:













No comments:

Post a Comment