Banner

Friday, September 10, 2010

Etsy Featured Artist - Feather Crochet

This week Stitchy had the pleasure of interviewing Etsy Seller Feather Crochet (http://feathercrochet.etsy.com/)  Feather Crochet specializes in some great and unique crocheted items for the home, for kids, and for adults!

On to the interview!

Stitchy: Some basic information, how long have you been at your craft and what originally brought you to Etsy?


Feather Crochet: I’ve been crocheting for over 30 years now. After much encouragement from friends and family I decided to try and sell some of the items I had made. I was surprised at how well I did. Many of the people who bought from me asked if I had a website that they could share with friends. At the time I didn’t. Then I found Etsy.


Stitchy: Where do you find your inspiration for your creations?


Feather Crochet: My first creations were afghans for family members. Later, after having two girls and being surprised at the cost of Barbie and baby doll clothes, I began designing my own outfits for their toys. Now I crochet whatever catches my eye. I also like to be challenged by other people’s imaginations. There’s nothing I like better then when someone asks, “Do you think you could make….” That’s always fun.


Stitchy: Who has been your biggest supporter and is there anything you'd like to be able to say to this person?


Feather Crochet: Definitely my family. My grandmother taught me how to crochet and for that I will be forever grateful. If it weren’t for the rest of my family’s encouragement I don’t think I would have continued to grow as I have. I thank them all for their love and support.


Stitchy:  As an artist, what are your favorite types of materials to use and where are your favorite places to go to get these items?


Feather Crochet: I love all yarn. I’ve just begun to work with eco-friendly yarns and I love them. I’m always hunting the web for yarns on sale and new types of yarn.


Stitchy: How was your experience with your very first sale on Etsy?


Feather Crochet: I became an Etsy member almost a year ago. It took me 8 months to work up the courage to actually list items and open my shop. I had my first sale the day after I opened. I couldn’t believe it! It was very exciting. Every time I get a sale it’s as exciting as the first. It’s such an incredible feeling to know people like what I’ve made.


Stitchy:  Do you also participate in local venues like craft fairs, and if you do what are some suggestions that help make that a success?


Feather Crochet: I enjoy participating in local craft shows and meeting people face to face. I always make sure I have a large selection of the things I make and let people know that I’m willing to work with them on made to order items.

Stitchy: What is the one thing that you don't have, but would love to have that would greatly assist you in your creations?


Feather Crochet:  More sales so I can buy more yarn! LOL.


Stitchy: What is your most favorite item in your shop and what makes it so special to you?


Feather Crochet: I don’t know if it’s my “most favorite” but the blue American Girl dress with matching tam is one of them. One of the reasons why is because it reminds me of a similar dress I had at one of my craft shows.

For over an hour I watched this little girl come over to my booth and look at the dress. She would touch it, smile at me, and then walk away only to return later and do the same thing. I asked her if she liked the dress. She explained to me that she had a doll at home that she loved very much and she thought the dress was very beautiful. She didn’t have any money and her mom was busy buying Christmas presents for other family members. She later brought her mom over and showed her the dress. Her mom agreed that it was a beautiful dress but that she had already gotten her presents for the little girl. When they left I wrapped the dress up and had my mom watch my booth. I found the little girl and her mom as they were leaving. I gave the girl the dress and told her “Merry Christmas”. Now I smile whenever I make a new dress, hoping it will end up on a much loved doll.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/54191556/cornflower-blue-american-doll-dress?ref=v1_other_2


Stitchy:  What do you feel are your best marketing tools?


Feather Crochet: Being a “newbie” I’m still trying to find my niche. I’m trying everything at the moment: business cards, Twitter, word of mouth and can often be found in the chat rooms between projects.


Stitchy:  What suggestions would you offer to brand new Etsy sellers?


Feather Crochet:  I’m still new myself but I believe that with work and perseverance any shop on Etsy has great potential.
 
 
What a great interview!  Please be sure to stop by and check out Feather Crochet's shop and her beautiful items!


Next week's article will be a feature on some upcoming items for Stitchy's shop as well as some bragging on recently completed projects!

On October 9th Stitchy could possibly be at (it's not set in stone yet, but Stitchy turned the application in) Coalingafest in Coalinga, CA!  Hope to see you all there!

xoxo,
Stitchy

No comments:

Post a Comment