Banner

Friday, August 6, 2010

Book Review - Selbuvotter: Biography of a Knitting Tradition

A while back I bought this absolutely wonderful book called Selbuvotter: Biography of a Knitting Tradition by Terri Shea and I must say that it was completely worth the cost.

I had started noticing Norwegian mitten patterns online when I was first learning to knit, but being new to knitting I was very unsure about wanting to even attempt these mittens. 

In doing some more research however I found out about this book and even better then that, I found it on knitpicks.com which I had just recently discovered around the same time so I ordered it. 

The book begins with a detailed history of how these mittens started in Norway by two sisters, how they expanded to quite the cottage industry, as well as many other facts that make them so special.  I was particularly intrigued by how the tops of the mittens and of each finger on the gloves comes to a point instead of being rounded like one would expect.  I also was able to learn about the different types of designs and how they were incorporated into the peices.  It was an interesting read.

After the history of the the mittens and their invention comes 30 patterns the majority of which were based off of actual historic peices from the original creators that are now in museums.  The one pictured is what I am currently working on and it is the very first pattern in the book.  I hope I have it completed in time for winter!  Unfortunately the adult ADD may prevent that but here's hoping!

I also did create and already complete a pair of mittens in lime green and brown.  Again they were based off of a museum peice and included the name "Esther" in the decoration. 

Being so new to knitting and having a tendency to make things harder then necessary, I had a difficult time at first.  However, the instructions were pretty clear and I was able to make the mittens without any issues.  I was so happy that the mittens turned out that I then started these blue and white gloves and am happy how they are turning out as well.  I even went so far as to go out and buy a notebook of graph paper so I can make my own designs.

I would highly recommend to any knew knitter who happens to come across this book to definitely begin with mittens first and then graduate to gloves once you get used to the technique.

Overall - this is a fantastic book that definitely should belong in every knitter's library!  Be sure to have a look the next time you come across it and I can guarentee that you will fall in love with these designs.

xoxo,
Stitchy

1 comment:

  1. I understand the ADD, I started a scarf that seemed to not go anywhere I would spend hours on it and it seemed like I didn't get anywhere.

    ReplyDelete