Banner

Friday, July 30, 2010

Featured Artist - Peridot Snow Designs

Good day to all of you out there in Craftland!  Stitchy of Stitchy Impressions has discovered a lovely Etsy shop that all of you should see! The shop is called Peridot Snow Designs and is run by a wonderful artist named Kara.  Kara's specializes in beautiful and earthy jewelry and is definitely worth taking a look at.

Below is our interview with Kara:

Stitchy:  Some basic information, how long have you been at your craft and what originally brought you to Etsy?
Kara:  My name is Kara and I'm 22 years old and my birthday is August 26th. I started showing some interest in Jewelry making back before I was 16, and I remember getting a beading magazine for my 16th birthday (which I still have) and I have been creating pieces of jewelry since then. At that time I knew nothing so I have become to know the jewelry terms and techniques much more but still need much more practice! I stumbled upon etsy one day and checked it out and thought hmm I'd love to have a shop there someday and months later http://www.peridotsnow.etsy.com/  was formed!

Stitchy:  Where do you find your inspiration for your creations?
Kara:  I am inspired many times by art, nature, fashion, and interior design. I get color ideas from all these places and blogs always seem to inspire me late at night.

Stitchy:  Who has been your biggest supporter and is there anything you'd like to be able to say to this person?
Kara:  My biggest supporters have always been my mom and sister, they are always encouraging me. I love them dearly for understanding my passion and love for creating.

Stitchy:  As an artist, what are your favorite types of materials to use and where are your favorite places to go to get these items?
Kara:  Glass Beads are my favorite, all shapes and sizes! I shop online a lot, but I also enjoy going to A.C. Moore (craft supply shop)

Stitchy:  How was your experience with your very first sale on Etsy?
Kara:  My very first sale was a dear friend, and I was so thankful for the sale but when I got my first sale from a stranger it was so exciting!

Stitchy:  Do you also participate in local venues like craft fairs, and if you do what are some suggestions that help make that a success?
Kara:  I have not participated in any local fairs/shows but hope to in the future.

Stitchy:  What is the one thing that you don't have, but would love to have that would greatly assist you in your creations?
Kara:  bead stoppers, as crazy is it sounds I don't have any yet and that will be a great help to those beads that easily slide off and fly everywhere! I'm sure their are many other things I'd like that would greatly help, like new tools!

Stitchy:  What is your most favorite item in your shop and what makes it so special to you?
Kara:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/48517956/coffee-necklace  when making this with help from a friend we raved about how we wanted to keep it for ourselves! Fall is my favorite season and I think this would go lovely with a fall outfit.

Stitchy:  What do you feel are your best marketing tools?
Kara:  I have a blog-- http://www.peridotsnowdesigns.blogspot.com/  but the blog hasn't been as successful as my facebook fanpage www.facebook.com/peridotsnow  but the most successful for me has been word of mouth...I have great friends that share their pieces with family members which then get me other sales!

Stitchy:  What suggestions would you offer to brand new Etsy sellers?
Kara:  Stay positive, have good prices, and keep at it. Everything takes time, and building a great online shop will take sometime. I'm pretty new myself and I'm still constantly working on bettering things.


Kara is a wonderful seller and it was such a great interview!  Be sure to stop by http://peridotsnow.etsy.com/ and check out some awesome jewelry items!

xoxo,
Stitchy

2 comments:

  1. Lovely interview! I had to heart her shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to heart her shop. Cant wait for your next post...

    ReplyDelete